Re: double linked list

From: Alan Gutierrez <ajglist(at)izzy(dot)net>
To: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: double linked list
Date: 2003-01-30 14:30:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thursday 30 January 2003 07:10, Christoph Haller wrote:
> I've seen CELKO's reply and find it very useful.
> But I cannot find anything about
>
> > BEGIN ATOMIC
> > DECLARE rightmost_spread INTEGER;
> >
> > SET rightmost_spread
> > = (SELECT rgt
> > FROM Frammis
> > WHERE part = 'G');
>
> Is this PostgreSQL at all? Any hints welcome.

Mr Haller

No, this is a dialect SQL-92 (SQL-99?) that Mr Celko uses for his
examples since his solutions are vendor nutral. He is big on standards,
so posting using the standard is his way of boosting them.

BEGIN ATOMIC is BEGIN in PG.

I am not sure how to declare a variable in PG in normal SQL. I don't do
it that often, but when I do I do this:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE Rightmost_Spread
AS SELECT rightmost_spread
FROM Frammis
WHERE part = 'G';

I wonder what the alterntatives are?

Alan Gutierrez - ajglist(at)izzy(dot)net
http://khtml-win32.sourceforge.net/ - KHTML on Windows