Re: problem starting 7.3 server

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Markus Jais <markusjais(at)yahoo(dot)de>, ML-Postrges-general <Pgsql-General(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem starting 7.3 server
Date: 2003-01-25 23:26:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Saturday 25 January 2003 22:40, Markus Jais wrote:
> hi
> I have installed the newest 7.3.1 rpms for RH 7.3.
> before I removed the 7.2 binaries with rpm -e

Usually PostgreSQL data file formats are not compatible between major
releases, e.g. between 7.2.x and 7.3.x.

(...)
> any ideas what to do ?
> I have no important data so it would be possible to remove
> the old databases but I do not know if this is the solution.

You can delete the directories containing the data files
(don't know where they will be on RedHat, try /var/db )
and create a new database "cluster" using the initdb
installed with 7.3.1.

See e.g.:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/creating-cluster.html

(If you suddenly find you want the old data you can alway reinstall
7.2.x, dump the data and import it in to 7.3.x, see:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/backup.html )

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net