Re: plpgsql: debugging

From: Ludwig Lim <lud_nowhere_man(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Oliver Vecernik <vecernik(at)aon(dot)at>
Subject: Re: plpgsql: debugging
Date: 2003-01-24 07:41:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Oliver Vecernik <vecernik(at)aon(dot)at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Searching Google I found a thread in July 2001
> concerning the facilities
> for debugging plpgsql functions. The actual answer
> was: it should be
> improved.
>
> What is the best way to debug a plpgsql function?
>
> Oliver

This may not be the best way since its a bit
crude. Try using RAISE NOTICE every now then to
monitor the values of variables in the screen and
record it in log file.

Example :

RAISE NOTICE ''Initial value of variable =
%'',v_variable;

/* Do some computation ... */

RAISE NOTICE ''Value of variable after operation =
%'',v_variable;

hope that helps,

ludwig