Re: Is there a good way to make the database server send e-mail?

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a good way to make the database server send e-mail?
Date: 2003-01-20 18:05:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:17:51PM -0500, Berend Tober wrote:

> how to contact the user), along with the username of the person doing the
> resetting. I need help with suggestions on learning how to make the
> database server initiate an e-mail message.

I suggest you write a daemon which reads from a queue table in the
database, and sends the email. This is slightly safer, because if
the email system fails in some way, the daemon can learn about it and
handle it. Also, this will scale: if you have to send 10,000 emails
at a time, things a re going to block fora long time while you write
all that into the mail queue. A dedicated program can handle it
better, by selecting a few thousand to prepare at a time.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8