Re: schema/db design wrt performance

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: schema/db design wrt performance
Date: 2003-01-16 16:05:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:50:04AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Could BEFORE INSERT|UPDATE|DELETE triggers perform the same
> functionality while touching only the desired records, thus
> decreasing conflict?

You can make the constraint DEFERRABLE INITIALY DEFERRED. It helps
somewhat. But the potential for deadlock, and the backing up, will
still happen to some degree. It's a well-known flaw in the FK
system. I beleive the FK implementation was mostly intended as a
proof of concept.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada