Re: Sun vs. Mac

From: CaptainX0r <captainx0r(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun vs. Mac
Date: 2003-01-14 17:50:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I'd suggest starting with some elementary measurements, for
> example looking at I/O rates and CPU idle percentage while
> running the same task on both Solaris and G3. That would at
> least give us a clue whether I/O or CPU is the bottleneck.

Well, I've got the Sun box now, but I don't really have acces to
the G3. FWIW, top shows postgres slowly taking up all the CPU -
over the course of a minute or so it gradually ramps up to
around 90%. Once the query is complete, however, top shows the
CPU ramping down slowly, ~1-2% per second over the next 2
minutes which I find very strange. The CPU idle is 0% for the
duration of the query, while the user state is around 100% for
the same period. This kind of makes me think top is wrong (100%
idle and 75% postgres?)

iostat gives: (sorry for line wrap).

# iostat -DcxnzP
cpu
us sy wt id
10 1 4 85
extended device statistics
r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b
device
11.2 1.0 65.5 13.1 0.1 0.1 9.5 9.6 0 3
c1t0d0s0
0.0 0.0 0.0 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 6.0 0 0
c1t0d0s1
7.3 0.1 502.3 0.5 0.0 0.0 0.0 2.3 0 1
c1t0d0s3
0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.1 0 0
host:vold(pid313)

This doesn't really tell me much, except I'm guessing that PG is
CPU bound?

-X