Re: "dumpProcLangs(): handler procedure for language

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: Brian Fujito <brian(at)lightsource(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "dumpProcLangs(): handler procedure for language
Date: 2002-12-10 07:06:17
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

I have had similar troubles, related to oid overflow. I had to modify pg_dump
to properly cast queries that contain oids. This is against 7.1.3 source. The
patch was hacked quickly, in order to get a corrupted database reloaded, and
this while I was traveling in another country... so it is far from perfect but
saved my database(s). It also fixes other oid-related troubles of pg_dump.

See attached file.

Daniel

>>>Brian Fujito said:
> Thanks for your input--
>
> I've tried both ways:
>
> createlang/droplang from the command line as user postgres
>
> and:
>
> CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler () RETURNS OPAQUE AS
> '/usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so' LANGUAGE 'C';
>
> CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
> HANDLER plpgsql_call_handler
> LANCOMPILER 'PL/pgSQL';
>
> I'm using pg_dump (not pg_dumpall) on the specific database on which
> I created the language.
>
> I realize 7.0.3 is ancient (same with 7.1)... I just don't have the
> time to deal with an upgrade quite yet. Soon enough :) In the mean
> time, a stop-gap solution would definitely be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Brian
>

> On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 14:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Brian Fujito <brian(at)lightsource(dot)com> writes:
> > > I'm running postgres-7.0.3 on RH7.1 using RedHat RPMs.
> > > I recently added plpgsql as a language to one of my databases,
> > > and now when I try to do a pg_dump, I get:
> >
> > > "dumpProcLangs(): handler procedure for language plpgsql not found"
> >
> > > If I drop the language, pg_dump works fine, but if I add it back (and
> > > even if I restart postgres), I get the same error.
> >
> > What exactly are you doing to drop and re-add the language? I should
> > think CREATE LANGUAGE would fail if the handler proc isn't there.
> >
> > (Also, are you doing pg_dump or pg_dumpall? If the latter, maybe the
> > failure is occurring in a different database than the one you are
> > changing.)
> >
> > But having said that, 7.0.3 is ancient history ... you really are
> > overdue for an upgrade. With my Red Hat fedora on, I'd say the same
> > about your choice of OS version too.
> >
> > regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_dump.c.diff text/plain 4.0 KB