Ran out of connections

From: Mike Diehl <jdiehl(at)sandia(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Ran out of connections
Date: 2002-12-04 22:08:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all.

Twice this week, I've come to work to find my Postgres server out of
connections... effectively freezing my web server.

Today, before I rebooted the entire system, I did a ps -auxw and kept the
file to study. I didn't find too many clients running. But I did find a
whole LOT of postgres processes running, idle. BTW, one of the postgres
processes was doing a vacuum analyze. I'm running 7.2.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? The out put of the ps command can be
seen at http://dominion.dyndns.org/~mdiehl/ps.txt

Thanx in advance,
--
Mike Diehl