Re: Combining queries while preserving order in SQL - Help!

From: Joel Burton <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe(at)osss(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Combining queries while preserving order in SQL - Help!
Date: 2002-12-02 19:23:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:46:38PM -0500, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I need to do the following in one SQL query:
>
> select field1, field2, field3, field4, field5 from table where field6 < 5
> order by field1
>
> And a totals line which shows the sum for each column.
>
> The important part is that I need to preserve the order by of the first query.
>
> Is there any way to do this in one query?

create table foo (a int, b int, c int );
insert into foo values (1,2,3);
insert into foo values (4,5,6);

select '' as label,
*
from foo
union all
select 'TOTAL',
sum(a),
sum(b),
sum(c)
from foo
order by 1,2;

(you wouldn't need the label column to sort by, except that a might
contain negative numbers, so the sum might be _less_ than some/all of
the numbers. by first sorting on this junk column, we can force the
totals at the bottom).

p.s. don't forget the "union __all__", otherwise you'll get rid of
duplicate entries in the your table.

--

Joel BURTON | joel(at)joelburton(dot)com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant