Re: Measuring time of select query

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kosmat(at)z(dot)pl
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Measuring time of select query
Date: 2002-12-02 18:03:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Mariusz Wiktorczyk wrote:
> Hello!
> I have to measure the time of select query via the jdbc driver. I cannot
> do this using only java.sql interfaces :( Is there any possibility to do
> it using yours jdbc driver? Where can I find api docs to postgresql jdbc?
> Best regards
> Mariusz Wiktorczyk

I have a few solutions for you. First, in 7.3, there is the
postgresql.conf variable 'log_duration' which will return the duration
of your query:

test=> SET log_duration TO 'on';
SET
test=> SET client_min_messages TO 'log';
LOG: duration: 0.000682 sec
SET
test=> SELECT * FROM pg_language;
LOG: duration: 0.003959 sec
lanname | lanispl | lanpltrusted | lanplcallfoid | lanvalidator |
lanacl

sql | f | t | 0 | 2248 | {=U}
internal | f | f | 0 | 2246 | {=}
c | f | f | 0 | 2247 | {=}
(3 rows)

Also in 7.3, psql has \timing. I don't know of any good way to do this
in < 7.3, nor in jdbc.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us