Re: stability of pg library usage

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Markus Wagner <wagner(at)imbei(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stability of pg library usage
Date: 2002-11-21 17:17:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Markus Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we developed some software using the C-library for pg 7.1.3 and distributed it
> to users who are using pg 7.2.x. There was a problem when the program tried
> to open 'template1' in order to execute a 'CREATE DATABASE'-statement. The
> database 'template1' could not be opened. After installing pg 7.3.1 it
> worked.
>
> We are wondering what may have changed in the new version, and if there will
> be some stability in the future, so that our software may be used with
> different pg versions.

It should have worked. Servers are able to talk to _older_ clients,
though not always newer clients. In your case, you have a 7.1 client
talking to a 7.2 server -- that should work. If you showed us something
of the error or the server logs, we may be able to figure out what is
happening.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us