Re: Oracle's Rapidly Sliding License Revenues

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Shane McChesney <shane(at)nooro(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle's Rapidly Sliding License Revenues
Date: 2002-11-13 20:42:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Robert,

> This is interesting because I just read this article
> (http://www.sdtimes.com/cols/middlewatch.htm) that talks about how
> postgresql is at a disadvantage compared to other open source databases
> because it is produced under a BSD license, and won't have enough
> license revenue to sustain long term viability of postgresql inc, the
> main company behind postgresql.

The guy's an idiot. "Candian-Based PostgreSQL?"

For that matter, except for Microsoft, license revenue is a *declining* part
of the software picture. The article writer is talking based on what he
learned selling software for Compaq 10 years ago*, not on any knowledge of
the current market.

(*=hypothetically, I don't actually know the writer's background)

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions