Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date: 2002-10-24 23:43:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > OK, NetBSD added.
> >
> > Any other OS's need this? Is it safe for me to code something that
> > assumes fpos_t and off_t are identical? I can't think of a good way to
> > test if two data types are identical. I don't think sizeof is enough.
>
> No, you can't assume that fpos_t and off_t are identical.

I was wondering --- if fpos_t and off_t are identical sizeof, and fpos_t
can do shift << or >>, that means fpos_t is also integral like off_t.
Can I then assume they are the same?

> But you can simulate a long fseeko() by calling fseek() multiple times, so
> it should be possible to write a replacement that works on all systems.

Yes, but I can't simulate ftello, so I then can't do SEEK_CUR. and if I
can't duplicate the entire API, I don't want to try.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us