Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.

From: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-hackers(at)empires(dot)org>
To: Antti Haapala <antti(dot)haapala(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.
Date: 2002-10-11 21:05:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

> They also state that they have more sophisticated ALTER TABLE...
>
> Only usable feature in their ALTER TABLE that doesn't (yet) exist in
> PostgreSQL was changing column order (ok, the order by in table creation
> could be nice), and that's still almost purely cosmetic. Anyway, I could
> have used that command yesterday. Could this be added to pgsql.

I agree with your message except for that statement. MySQL alter table
provides the ability to change column types and cast the records
automatically. I remember that feature as really the only thing from MySQL
that I've ever missed.

Of course, it's not that wonderful in theory. During development you can
easily drop/recreate the tables and reload the test data; during production
you don't change the data types of your attributes.

But in practice, during development it's handy sometimes.

Regards,
Jeff