Re: Taking advantage of prepared statement performance

From: "Brett" <brettonator(at)excite(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Taking advantage of prepared statement performance
Date: 2002-10-10 17:34:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

From: Brett [mailto: brettonator(at)excite(dot)com]To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)orgDate: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:30:00 -0400 (EDT)Subject: [JDBC] Taking advantage of prepared statement performance

I have a web application that invokes java jdbc code for each request. Wouldit be faster if I stored all my prepared statements for each connection, sowhen I want to do a query I a) pull a connection object from the pool thenb) call ps.setX; ps.setY;...; ps.executeQuery(); and not close the preparedstatement? That way, another thread could grab the connection and nothave to recreate the prepared statement. I would associate sets ofprepared statements with connections. Would this be faster thancreating a prepared statement for each web request?I am using 7.1.3b2 (for production *crosses fingers*) in case that matters.Once again thanks for any help and sorry for any formatting issues withthis message.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com