Re: missed features and unhappy changes when pg 7.1->7.2

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Yury Bokhoncovich <byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: missed features and unhappy changes when pg 7.1->7.2
Date: 2002-09-20 14:34:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Yury Bokhoncovich wrote:

> Maybe I missed something but what are reasons to change behaviour in 7.2
> in comparison with 7.1?
> I mean that early PG just truncated the rest (tail) of extra long string
> (i.e. where len(string)>char(this attr) but insert the head. Now inserting
> fails. Is it tunable somewhere in GUC so I could revert to old behaviour?

Not currently. This was a push to become more complient with sql's
desired handling for strings like that.

> And yet, what is the Right Way to deal with timestamp?
> Now I'm using Thomas's recipe \"timestamp\" but it loooks wierd and bad.

For most of the uses of timestamp(), you probably should now be using
either a timestamp literal (timestamp '...') or a cast (cast(... as
timestamp). The reason this changed was again an sql compatibility issue,
timestamp(n) in sql terms is a type with a particular precision.