Re: pg_hba.conf documentation

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf documentation
Date: 2002-09-07 16:25:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 18:16:38 +0200,
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Does anyone else feel that the pg_hba.conf inline documentation is getting
> too long? The default file is now 259 lines. I feel we should try to cut
> this down to about 30-50 lines that have a reminder function, not a
> complete specification.

Yes. The documentation in the config file should be available in the normal
documentation and hence only used to prompt an admin's memory, not provide
a detailed spec. Unless this documentation is built automatically it is
just two copies of the same data that have to be separately maintained.
However, it isn't a big deal for an admin to delete the comments if they
want.