Re: Remote monitoring

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marc Mitchell <marcm(at)eisolution(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remote monitoring
Date: 2002-09-06 14:38:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marc Mitchell wrote:
> > Well, if you enable stats_command_string in postgresql.conf you will
> > see the queries being run in pg_stat_activity.
>
> Would this have a performance cost? Where does the X-based pgmonitor get

Less that 1% performance load.

> its query string data?

The X-based solution gets its query string from the local machine, it
just pipes the X display back to your local machine.

> > Another option is to ssh into the machine, set your $DISPLAY back to
> > your local machine, and then run pgmonitor. ssh does secure remote X
> > display.
>
> When remote, the link between my workstation to the box being monitored is
> via the net where my machine gains access via a NAT router and does not
> have its own publicly routable IP. So making the connection back from
> server to workstation is problematic at best.
>
> Would it be possible to get the code for the current X-based stuff in order
> to convert it to a straight text based display in either ksh script or
> perhaps C? I wouldn't try to implement some of the more UI related stuff
> like the ability to specify sort order or shutdown the server. But having
> a basic refreshing display of active sessions and the ability to get query
> details on an one would same a do-able thing in C.

Actually, there is a text-based TCL/Tk library. I think it was done by
SCO initially for their install stuff. Anyway, I am sure it exists
somewhere, and if you can get it, the script should just run with no
changes to pgaccess.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us