Re: Remote monitoring

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marc Mitchell <marcm(at)eisolution(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remote monitoring
Date: 2002-09-06 04:25:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marc Mitchell wrote:
> I have a requirement to be able to remotely monitor and diagnose a
> production Postgres installation running on a machine with limited firewall
> access. When local to the box, I use pgmonitor and find it completely
> indispensable. But, from my remote location, I can only slogin to the box
> and get terminal access and thus have a problem with the Xwindows display.
> Admittedly, I'm not very well versed in Xwindows. Is there any way to
> achieve similar functionality but in a completely server based way? I know
> pgmonitor is basically based on a series of ps and awk commands. Is there
> a way this could be wrapped in a script to provide straight text based
> information along the same lines as "top" or "sar"?

Well, if you enable stats_command_string in postgresql.conf you will
see the queries being run in pg_stat_activity.

Another option is to ssh into the machine, set your $DISPLAY back to
your local machine, and then run pgmonitor. ssh does secure remote X
display.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us