Is this an overkill?

From: Dan Ostrowski <dan(at)triad-dev(dot)com>
To: "[POSTGRES GENERAL]" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is this an overkill?
Date: 2002-09-03 15:50:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all..

I am a PHP programmer that usualy uses MySQL, but I have been pining to use PostgreSQL for a while. I hate people that are afraid to learn or never want to experiment in this industry.. i always want to know more than i do now... and PostgreSQL has always intrigued me because of it's wonderful feature set and imbedded languages...

I was thinking of using it on my current project.. which would be:

For the web:
Keeping track of "seasons", "teams", "standings", "scores", "news", etc. for a sports complex that has ( at present ) 12 programs and will be expanding. Each of these programs will have teams, divisions, etc. Plus general news.

For the office:
We would have a local DB ( that is accessable from the web ) to keep track of purchases and customer information. It will be accessed/updated either over the web or locally via desktop software that I will write ( probably with LlamaCard for Perl ).

Customer wise, we would have several thousand a year. Program info wise, we would have as many entries as for customers, but would change more often.

Is this kind of thing ... well too small to use Postgres for? Should I just suck it up and use MySQL and do all the data integrity things in PHP? I mean, I LOVE to learn about this stuff, but would it end up being more frustration than is nessesary for a small project like this?

Any help is valued,
regards,
dan