Automated database backups and authentication

From: Darren McClelland <darren(at)zonarsystems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Automated database backups and authentication
Date: 2002-08-06 18:14:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I would like to backup a set of databases from a cron job. It looks like
pg_dumpall will do the trick. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to
be any way to pass the database password to pg_dumpall in a non interactive
manner. I'd like to use some kind of access control on the databases, but it
would need to be able to function non interactively.

Ideally whatever I do would be able to function across a network, so that one
database server could backup to a second - kind of a poor man's replication.

I haven't found any real answers in any of the archives, or docs. Has anyone
here done something like this or have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Darren McClelland