Re: Looking for types: phone number, email addresses

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(at)nic(dot)fr>
To: Josh Jore <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
Cc: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(at)nic(dot)fr>, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for types: phone number, email addresses
Date: 2002-07-19 15:02:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:11:43AM -0500,
Josh Jore <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org> wrote
a message of 28 lines which said:

> Remember to allow quotes and spaces as well. This is a valid address (no,
> not that I actually defined it as an alias):
>
> "Josh Jore"@greentechnologist.org

Yes, but to parse such addresses (not just to allow blindly spaces and
quotes in any order), regexps are not sufficient (hence my initial
request for a type, with a real parser).

Checking that an email address is actually RFC 2822 is far from a
trivial task...