Re: SQL If-Then Logic in Query

From: Holger Klawitter <lists(at)klawitter(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL If-Then Logic in Query
Date: 2002-07-18 13:05:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Mr. or Mrs. X,

I understand concerns regarding spam, but posts without a real name and
invalid return adresses are generally considered 'rude'. But I'll try to help
anyway :-)

Probably you will be fine using the distinct feature

SELECT
DISTINCT ON (id)
id,dept,perc
FROM
your_table
ORDER BY
id, perc desc, dept desc
;

You will receive only the first row with the given id. The sorting order
on perc and dept will make the row you need coming first.

> If this is not the correct group to post this question, sorry in advance.
> If you can point me to a web site that may have a tutorial with an example
> similar to this, I'd appreciate it...

DISTINCT is explained in the SELECT section of the Reference manual.

With kind regards / mit freundlichem Gruß
Holger Klawitter
--
Holger Klawitter http://www.klawitter.de
lists(at)klawitter(dot)de