Re: [SQL] line datatype

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tim Hart <tjhart(at)mac(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] line datatype
Date: 2002-07-16 16:10:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 11:29 am, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > > We do need a solution for exact dump/reload of floating-point data,
> > > but I don't see why the lack of it should be reason to disable access
> > > to the LINE type.

> > I don't understand why dumping the two point values isn't sufficient.

> Which two point values? LINE is handled as an equation, not as points,
> unlike the LSEG type which has two points.

> One possibility is to have the external representation *be* the same as
> LSEG, then convert internally. Then we need to decide how to scale those
> points; maybe always using a unit vector is the right thing to do...

Lines are entered now by specifying two points, anywhere on the line, right?
The internal representation is then slope-intercept? Why not allow either
the 'two-point' entry, or direct entry as slope-intercept? How do we
represent lines now in output? Do we pick two arbitrary points on the line?
If so, I can see Thomas' point here, where the original data entry might have
specified two relatively distant points -- but then there's a precision error
anyway converting to slope-intercept, if indeed that is the internal
representation. So why not dump in slope-intercept form, if that is the
internal representation?

But, you're telling me floats aren't dumpable/restoreable to exactly the same
value? (????) This can't be good.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio