Re: domain usage

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: domain usage
Date: 2002-07-14 20:10:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 14:58:14 -0400,

> The reason it doesn't work is that d1 and d2 are treated as
> binary-compatible with int4, so the int4 = operator is found and
> applied.
>
> If we did not have this binary-compatibility behavior, domains would be
> near useless, because out-of-the-box they'd have no applicable functions
> or operators at all. Do you want to have to issue a ton of CREATE
> FUNCTION and CREATE OPERATOR commands for every domain you make?

Certainly not. I wanted a way to catch dumb mistakes earlier than I otherwise
might.

I often use tables that link two or three other tables using referenced
serial types. And if I make a mistake using it where the wrong column
gets used I generally won't catch it until I notice that my query is
returning bogus information.

I thought that in addition to being used to simplify maintaining constraints,
that there should be some way to use them for catching mistakes.