Re: INSERT only under certain conditions (SELECT)

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Joachim Trinkwitz <jtr(at)uni-bonn(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERT only under certain conditions (SELECT)
Date: 2002-07-09 12:18:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 17:49:56 +0200,
Joachim Trinkwitz <jtr(at)uni-bonn(dot)de> wrote:

> Now I want to allow a user with id 123 only to insert a row in T if he
> doesn't choose values from L with same 'art' and 'semester' values --
> in the examples user 123 has already chosen a kvvnr from semester
> 2002ws in category 'art', so he shouldn't be allowed to insert the
> values of the second row in table L.

In the database you enforce this using a unique index.
The application needs to be able to handle failures when you try to
insert a duplicate key.

If you can't afford to have a transaction fail part way through, then
anything that writes that table should do a table lock at the start
of the transaction.