Re: slow INSERTS :((

From: Varun Kacholia <varunk(at)cse(dot)iitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow INSERTS :((
Date: 2002-06-16 14:38:25
Lists: pgsql-general

hi ,
Actually i am building a high end search engine which requires one time
monsterous INSERTs(done by a single script).This is what takes a looot
of time and i was worried abt it.
I read that setting fsync=false will help (but also since wal logs
are used ... will it help that much?).I am not much concerned abt the
data loses as i already have it backed up(in raw form which the script
parses and inserts in the db ) and am solely
concerned that they get *inserted* in the database.
For search purpose i am creating a couple of indexes also ...
should i drop them initially and create them later?
Isnt the following query supported in postgresql (it is surely useful and
supported in MySQL )
CREATE INDEX t_index ON (NAME(20) , ID);
Mysql users might be knowing NAME(20) that it indexes only on first
20 chars of the field NAME.
Postgresql refused to take this and as a result i have indexes made
on fields whose length is like 200 chars.
any kind of help would be appriciated
thanks

--
------