Re: "No Results were returned by the query" exception

From: Jon Swinth <jswinth(at)atomicpc(dot)com>
To: "Joe Shevland" <jshevland(at)j-elite(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "No Results were returned by the query" exception
Date: 2002-06-07 00:01:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I am using PostGreSQL 7.2.1 with JDBC driver of http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/devpgjdbc2.jar.

Code is:

public int getNextValue(
String sequenceName )
throws SQLException {
checkAll(sequenceName);
Statement s = null ;
ResultSet rs = null ;
try {
s = connection.createStatement() ;
rs = s.executeQuery("SELECT nextval('"+sequenceName+"')");
if (!rs.next()) {
throw new SQLException("No Rows Returned from Sequence " + sequenceName);
} //end if
int returnValue = rs.getInt(1) ;
rs.close();
s.close();
return returnValue ;
} catch (SQLException e) {
if (rs != null) {
rs.close();
} //end if
if (s != null) {
s.close();
} //end if
throw e ;
} //end try
} //end getNextValue()

And yes I am using it from within a transaction.

What is odd is it is not consistant. This same code runs fine for a lot of things.

My guess is that there is a variable that is not being reset properly in the driver. That would explain why
it does not happen all the time. In this case, I am receiving an error when running the above code after an
INSERT statement on the same connection.

Jon