Re: invalid type error

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid type error
Date: 2002-06-03 19:37:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> Running Postgres 7.1.3 on RedHat Linux 7.2.
>

> I don't know what I did, or how I did it, but when I
> try to do a pg_dump of a table, I get this message:
>
> [snip]
>
> WARNING: owner of type 'number' appears to be invalid
> WARNING: owner of type 'interger' appears to be invalid
>
> [/snip]
>
> I'm thinking that I did the latter one when I was
> trying to create a function and I fat-fingered
> the name.

Sure did you, and I'm pretty sure you did with the "number"
type as well since there is no such datatype in the system by
default. Maybe you haven't found the function(s) returning
that typo - er type yet, but if you find some, there isn't
much more useful to do with them than dropping.

Try a

SELECT proname FROM pg_proc P, pg_type T
WHERE P.prorettype = T.oid
AND T.typname = 'number';

The reason why it says that the owner appears to be invalid
is, that the created pg_type shell has owner ID 0 yet.

> Does anyone know how I can get rid of these messages?

You need to complete these type definitions, before you can
drop the resulting datatype again. The commands

CREATE TYPE interger (
INPUT=textin, OUTPUT=textout,
INTERNALLENGTH=variable);
DROP TYPE interger;