Re: How much work is a native Windows application?

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How much work is a native Windows application?
Date: 2002-05-09 16:37:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw wrote:
> I think, and I know people are probably sick of me spouting opinions, that if
> you want a Windows presence for PostgreSQL, then we should write a real Win32
> version.
>
> If the global/static variables which are initialized by the postmaster are
> moved to a structure, we can should be able to remove the fork() requirement
> and port to a Win32 native system.

My opinion here is that until May 1998 Postgres did exec(),
so it was clean and okay for CreateProcess() up to then. Just
because we optimized it for the copy-on-write behaviour,
modern Unix kernels do with fork() only, is NO reason to
accept sloppy coding. The Postmaster and the backend have
different responsibilities. In fact, I still consider them
beeing different programs even if they reside in one
executable. Mixing global variables of one with the other is
wrong.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #