Re: difficult query

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jakub Ouhrabka <jouh8664(at)ss1000(dot)ms(dot)mff(dot)cuni(dot)cz>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: difficult query
Date: 2002-05-04 18:19:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Saturday 04 May 2002 19:34, Jakub Ouhrabka wrote:
> > > Is it possible to do this in sql?
> >
> > Basically, no. (You might be able to do it with the help
> > of a user-defined function though).
> >
> > Why do you want to do this?
>
> I'm curious. I've been on a sql course long time ago where the tutor
> mentioned similiar problem as something special for sql smarties... And
> yesterday when I faced this problem (which can be solved perfectly with
> the outer join) I wasn't able to remember the solution... If there is
> any... Just out of curiosity...

well, you could do it like this I suppose:

SELECT 1 AS day, COUNT(data) FROM table1 WHERE day=1
UNION
SELECT 2, COUNT(data) FROM table1 WHERE day=2
UNION
SELECT 3, COUNT(data) FROM table1 WHERE day=3
UNION
SELECT 4, COUNT(data) FROM table1 WHERE day=4

(and so on ad infinitum)

although I expect E.F. Codd will be turning in his grave ;-)

Ian Barwick