Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date: 2002-04-12 17:57:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, our regression tests are not intended to test every possible
> NUMERIC combination, just a resonable subset. As it is now, I often
> think the regression tests have hung because numeric takes so much
> longer than any of the other tests. We have had this code in there for
> a while now, and it is not OS-specific stuff, so I think we should just
> pair it back so we know it is working. We already have bignumeric for a
> larger test.

Bruce,

have you even taken one single look at the test? It does 100
of each add, sub, mul and div, these are the fast operations
that don't really take much time.

Then it does 10 of each sqrt(), ln(), log10(), pow10() and 10
combined power(ln()). These are the time consuming
operations, working iterative alas Newton, Taylor and
McLaurin. All that is done with 10 digits after the decimal
point only!

So again, WHAT exactly do you mean with "pair it back"?
Sorry, I don't get it. Do you want to remove the entire test?
Reduce it to an INSERT, one SELECT (so that we know the
input- and output functions work) and the four basic
operators used once? Well, that's a hell of a test, makes me
really feel comfortable. Like the mechanic kicking against
the tire then saying "I ain't see noth'n wrong with the
brakes, ya sure can make a trip in the mountains". Yeah, at
least once!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #