Re: locking problems

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: locking problems
Date: 2002-03-19 16:26:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 10:55:37AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> AFAIK changing deadlock_timeout cannot introduce or remove deadlock
> failures. It's purely an efficiency consideration, ie, how much
> time is wasted on useless deadlock checks (useless because they find
> no deadlock condition), vs how soon you find out about it when you
> really do have a deadlock.

Well, that's what I'd have thought, too, except for that last line in
the docs. I was, however, surprised when the number of deadlock
detections did in fact go down when I increased the timeout. Since I
wasn't able to figure out what was causing the deadlocks (I had a
couple of guesses, but I was never able to reproduce the problem
consistently), I was also relieved that it helped.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M6K 3E3