Re: Postgres not starting at boot(FreeBSD) - startup script not releasing < solved

From: "Matthew D(dot) Fuller" <fullermd(at)over-yonder(dot)net>
To: Dave <dave(at)hawk-systems(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres not starting at boot(FreeBSD) - startup script not releasing < solved
Date: 2002-03-11 09:54:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 06:11:21PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Dave, and lo! it spake thus:
> Bingo! Dumb move. Dropped everything to password a few months back, never had
> the occasion to restart after that. Will work on tweaking the pg_hba.conf

FWIW (after a quick glance at the default script and the manpage), "-w"
is the pg_ctl option that makes it wait. I just take it out; it only
takes PG a few seconds to initialize, so it's ready to go long before
something would need to connect to it.

It could also be said that having -w implemented as invoking psql to try
to connect as the DB superuser assuming no password is a rather
inappropriate way of going about it, but that's another can of worms.

--
Matthew Fuller (MF4839) | fullermd(at)over-yonder(dot)net
Unix Systems Administrator | fullermd(at)futuresouth(dot)com