Re: "select myfunc(fields) from my table" inside plpgslq

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Jeff Anto <antojf2001(at)yahoo(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "select myfunc(fields) from my table" inside plpgslq
Date: 2002-03-07 15:30:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, [iso-8859-1] Jeff Anto wrote:

> Hi all,
> the following is very surprising to me.
> It seems that semantic of
> select INTO var myfunc(...) from ... are different in
> plpgsql program than pure sql
> select myfunc(...) from ...
> should the former take into account only one rows
> while the latter take into account all rows ?

Well, to be honest it should probably error if more
than one row is returned since it seems to be like
a scalar subquery in usage, but I don't think that's
what you want either. The question is what value
from the select list is put into var when multiple
rows are returned?

> I am sure that in past version (7.1.2 ?) both were
> equivalent...

I don't have 7.1.2, but 7.1.3 seems to act like 7.2 in
this.