Re: thinking about versioning my database schema

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: thinking about versioning my database schema
Date: 2002-03-04 13:09:03
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:10:24AM +0100, Janning Vygen wrote:

> So i am saving the schema version inside the databse. Is it a good
> idea? or is it nonsens and there is a much better way how to do it?

Yeah, but then you'd have to change your queries to be able to query the
new tables.

> I dont want to recreate the database every time because i want to
> keep my testdata present.

How about a script that dumps your data, dumps your db, reloads the table
definitions, then reloads your data? You could have a table with rows for
every table that would keep track of the current version you have, that
could be updated when this script ran.

-Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu/ USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+