Logical vs. Physical attribute numbering

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Logical vs. Physical attribute numbering
Date: 2002-02-18 16:07:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We had a discussion a few days ago about removing attribute padding from
disk storage structures to fit more information on the disk.

Now, I question whether it is worth the added complexity to do this, but
the idea of having different logical and physical numbering of columns
seems like it may solve several problems:

o Columns can be reordered to minimize padding
o We can move variable length columns to the end, improving
performance
o We can fix inheritance problems in ADD COLUMN
o We can implement fast DROP COLUMN by renumbering the column
out of visibility

Comments?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us