Re: Solaris and effective_cache_size

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solaris and effective_cache_size
Date: 2002-02-15 16:28:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:17:42AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> Actually, the default 1000 setting is probably very much on the low side
> --- that's only equivalent to 8 meg of disk cache space after all, and
> on any reasonably modern box there's probably lots more RAM than that
> being used for disk cache.

Yes, that's why I started playing with it. But performance degrades
again if you raise it too much. I've had similar results with our
own application.

> However, I'm quite surprised to hear that tweaking effective_cache_size
> affects pgbench results at all. I'd have thought that all the queries
> used by pgbench would be indexscans anyway...

I was sort of surprised by that, too. But the effect is totally
consistent over dozens of tests.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada