Re: casting question

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "A(dot) Van Hook" <hook(at)kcp(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: casting question
Date: 2002-02-04 15:05:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Your fields contain spaces, because of the char(15)
datatype padding them out. The numeric conversion
routine can't handle those spaces: you will need to
use a trim function (probably rtrim() will be best) to
take them out.

You can avoid this problem if you use varchar (or
text) instead of char datatype.