Re: IDEA: "suid" function

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)pl>
To: Marc Munro <marc(at)bloodnok(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IDEA: "suid" function
Date: 2002-01-26 07:15:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:36:08AM -0800, Marc Munro wrote:
> Much of this functionality can be implemented simply using the rule
> system and rewriting the inserts that a user thinks they are making,
> into what the system wants. Depesz, if you would like to contact me
> directly, I will be pleased to try to help.

i know it can be done with views and on update rule's, but since ian
wieck showed us on postgresql.con 2000 (in poland) how dangerous it
could be (problems when updating views basing on joins) i decided not to
use this feature.

> My current thinking is that a function should be able to run either, as
> now, solely with the rights of the caller, or with the rights of the
> owner of the rule that calls the function. To control which tytpe of
> function we are using, I would like to add another option to the WITH
> clause of the create function statement. Something like WITH
> rulepermissions.

that's exactly what i am asking about. tf you (or anyone else) could
implement this (my knowledge of c and internals of postgresql is not
enough to do it by myself) i would be very (V E R Y) grateful.

regards

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski http://www.depesz.pl/
... vows are spoken to be broken ... [enjoy the silence]