question with beta5

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: question with beta5
Date: 2002-01-16 22:26:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey, I decided to download and run beta5 through a few paces, and just ran
into something that I wouldn't think it good, but maybe it's expected.

I loaded a decent size database that we support. From within psql, I
performed a "select * from quesresp" which has 4.6 million rows. After doing
that, psql just started comsuming more and more memory until both my RAM, and
all my swap were full. I killed the query before I had any big problems.
>From top I could see that psql was using close to 500M.

Is this expected behaviour?

Additional possibly relevant information.

testlang=# \d quesresp
Table "quesresp"
Column | Type | Modifiers
---------------+------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
id | integer | not null default
nextval('quesresp_id_seq'::text)
applicationid | integer | not null
questionid | integer | not null
answerid | integer | not null
freeformresp | character varying(255) |
skillorder | integer |
Unique keys: quesresp_app_ques_ans_sk_ndx,
quesresp_pkey

testlang=# select version();
version
PostgreSQL 7.2b5 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

Stock Redhat 7.2 with all patches installed (2.4.9 kernel etc...)

Thanks much,

Matt O'Connor