Re: FATAL 1: Relation 'pg_shadow' does not exist

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL 1: Relation 'pg_shadow' does not exist
Date: 2002-01-15 21:24:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > When I first brought it down, I attempted this, but forgot -O. I've just
> > done this, however, it connected fine. Moreover, a select * from
> > pg_shadow; returned results! I vacuumed and brought the database back
> > online -- everything fine.
>
> > Extremely strange =\.
>
> Did I read you correctly to say that you're still on 7.1?
>
> This episode should convince you to update to 7.1.3, pronto.
> We don't make dot-releases for amusement value.
>
> (No, I can't cite any particular bug that might've led to this.)

IIRC there was this cross DB shared buffer usage bug
somewhere in 7.1, that used blocks from another DB found by
accident in the cache. So it all must have been a cache
problem and the postmaster restart fix^H^H^H made it
disappear and lurk again.

That bug can corrupt the system catalogs of all your
databases! Upgrade NOW!

Jan