Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From: "Brent R(dot) Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date: 2002-01-05 15:09:58
Lists: pgsql-general

--- postgresql(at)finner(dot)de wrote:
> Maybe a good choice would be an overlying API like WxWindows (just
> an
> example, http://www.wxwindows.org), which may use several
> underlying
> toolkits (Gtk, Motif, ...) and compiles on several platforms.

I would tend to agree with you that WxWindows is a good program
platform to work with. However, QT has multiple advantages over this
platform and GTK's as well.

First, QT runs on many platforms, including Linux, Windows, Solaris,
HP-UX, Irix, AIX, and the OS X to name a few. It also has a nice
optional open source license. You can statically link an application
with it, Opera for Linux is the biggest example. It has an excellent
open source tool in KDevelop (http://www.kdevelop.org/) and a form
designer tool (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/tools.html). Not
to mention multiple modules for database, XML, and table
manipulation. Plus, the libraries come standard with every major
Linux vendor which gives it a massive base of possible users.

Brent