Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: Thomas Swan <tswan-lst(at)ics(dot)olemiss(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files
Date: 2001-12-19 08:40:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>>Thomas Swan said:
> In keeping with some of the more modern daemons (xinetd, etc) you might
> want to consider something like /etc/pgsql.d/ as a directory name.
> Where as most folders with a .d contain a set of files or a referenced
> by the main config file in /etc. This is on a RedHat system, but I
> think the logic applies well if you are flexible the location of the
> base system config directory. (/usr/local/etc vs /etc, etc.)

I run BSD, and I believe config files should sit in /etc if the files are not
many. We can even go with one config file, such as postgres.conf which will
include the paths to other files - that can sit anywhere - in /etc/pgsql for
example or in /usr/local/pgsql/etc.

But, let's not start religious wars whether the System V way is better than
BSD's :-)

Daniel