Re: should this be a trigger or a rule?

From: Marc Spitzer <marc(at)oscar(dot)eng(dot)cv(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: should this be a trigger or a rule?
Date: 2001-12-16 02:25:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 09:04:20PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> marc(at)oscar(dot)eng(dot)cv(dot)net (Marc Spitzer) writes:
> > I have 3 tables: pings, curr_state, ping_log and here is what I want
> > to happen:
> > when I insert a row into pings it checks to see if the ping was
> > sucessful or not.
>
> Anything that's most naturally described as driven by insert (or update
> or delete) of individual rows is best done as a trigger, IMHO.
>
> regards, tom lane

Thanks,

One last question, I am using Xemacs to auto format the code
for me, I have discovered the sql-postgres but that is only
in the postgres(psql) window not in the where I edit my code
window. I get this in lisp by using M-x load-library then ilisp
ams perl,tcl, C take care of them selves.

Thanks again,

marc