Re: How to use BYTEA type?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu(dot)popescu(at)www(dot)aldratech(dot)com>
Cc: <csawtell(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to use BYTEA type?
Date: 2001-11-01 16:22:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Radu-Adrian Popescu wrote:

> Doing
>
> template1=> SELECT proname from pg_proc ;
> proname
> ------------------------
> boolin
> boolout
> byteain
> byteaout
>
> you can see there is a byteaout function also. However, these are
> undocumented in the interactive docs, which is a shame indeed. I only
> learned of byteain/out after reading your email.
>
> If some of the postgresql guys could point the location of the
> documentation of undocumented functions :-) that'd be great.

AFAIK, the in and out functions are *not* meant to be called by
users. They're used by the system and I think they technically
take pointer values. To use bytea correctly, I believe you are
supposed to do some escaping and place the value into the
insert statement.

insert into table values ('\011\005\\000afkajdd\011');
(note the double backslash on the null byte). And you should
get the value back from a straight select on the column I believe.