Re: is it possible to get the number of rows of a table?

From: Haller Christoph <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
To: fklauschen(at)yahoo(dot)com (Frederick Klauschen)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is it possible to get the number of rows of a table?
Date: 2001-09-27 09:17:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I would like to compare the number of rows
> of one table and of another and use it in
> a query like this:
> SELECT * FROM xxxx
> WHERE "number of rows of table xxxx"
> EQUALS
> "number of rows of table yyyy"
> i.e. I only want get a query result if the tables
> have the same number of rows.
> Is there a function or a way to do this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Frederick

Basically, the way to find out about the number of rows
of a table is "select count(*) from t1"
But the select statement above looks odd to me
(no offence intended).
To receive a selection of certain rows of a table
you have to reference at least one column of that
table in the where clause like in
"select * from table1 t1 where t1.c1 = (select count(*) from t2)"
I hope this helps at least a bit.
Regards, Christoph