Re: Error: Bad Timestamp Format

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Graham Leggett <minfrin(at)sharp(dot)fm>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error: Bad Timestamp Format
Date: 2001-09-13 00:09:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 06:55:50PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > Check the datestypes. Try setting it to european conventions, maybe that
> > will work better
>
> I thought that is what I was doing with "SHOW DATETYPES".
>
> What format is the date "2001-09-12 14:14:12.03-04"?
> ^^-- day

The datestyle is two independant variables, watch:

> show datestyle;
NOTICE: DateStyle is ISO with European conventions
> set datestyle=us;
SET VARIABLE
> show datestyle;
NOTICE: DateStyle is ISO with US (NonEuropean) conventions
> set datestyle=sql;
SET VARIABLE
> show datestyle;
NOTICE: DateStyle is SQL with US (NonEuropean) conventions
> set datestyle=european;
SET VARIABLE
> show datestyle;
NOTICE: DateStyle is SQL with European conventions

It affects the formatting of dates in various ways. Maybe it's fixed in
recent versions but there was a time where ISO/non-US wouldn't parse
2001-09-30.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/