Re: Installation location of Perl and Python modules

From: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation location of Perl and Python modules
Date: 2001-09-11 23:29:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 06:11:58PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> There have been complaints that the Perl module automatically installs
> itself under /usr/lib/perl5, even if the installer is not the root user
> and even if he specified a different --prefix. It would naturally be
> beneficial if users without root access, or those that don't want to
> overwrite their system installation, had the chance to install the Perl
> module somewhere, somehow.

I would vote for the #2 + #4:

> 2. Install it under $prefix/lib/perl5, where $prefix is what is chosen for
> PostgreSQL. This would improve the likelyhood of write access to the
> location, give you a perlish layout, and (usually) fall back to the
> default if you specify --prefix=/usr. It might also be rather compliant
> to some file system standard.

> 4. Provide an option to freely choose the location. But keep in mind that
> "free to choose" also means "inconsistent" and "easy to get lost".

> If we were to start in a green field we might make #2 the default
> with an option for #4.

If users accepts default settings, he probably installs it into
some separate location anyway. (At least I do that) If
PostgreSQL starts modifing outside tree it would come as bad
surprise.

But lets allow people who want or need to choose location to do
that freely - they are probably distributors or other people who
know about their system layout more than we.

Thay way the default wont hurt anyone, and if needed can be
overrided.

--
marko