Re: Re: Proposal for encrypting pg_shadow passwords

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal for encrypting pg_shadow passwords
Date: 2001-08-15 18:24:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > two new files (backend/libpq/md5.c and include/libpq/md5.h)
> > which implement MD5 encryption (from Vince with cleanups)
>
> How about adding these to backend/utils/adt, so we can provide an SQL md5
> function, just for completeness. (Might be useful to manually verify the
> passwords in pg_shadow or something.) There's already code for this in
> contrib/pgcrypto, btw.

Uh, yea, I guess I could do that. However, I need to move on to the SCM
creditials patch if we want that in 7.2. In fact, because the md5 patch
didn't make anyone ill, I am going to apply it now so I can start on the
SCM stuff. I can't figure out how to keep them a separate patches
because they overlap so much.

Also, should we be adding it if it is already in pgcrypto with other
nice items?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us